South Island Zealand Nature & Birding Experience
13 Days / 12 Nights
A tour planned for visitors to experience the stunning rugged beauty of South Island. Explore the ancient forests, its rugged coastlines, high gradient mountains, glaciers, roaring rivers and beaches. Take the time to relax and absorb these stunning surrounds, experience this land of the long white cloud, with an experience that will stay with you for
a long long time. While experiencing this overwhelming beautiful South Island you can pick up amazing and unique birdlife, NZ has 396 recorded species to be precise, (85 of which are endemics), and use this opportunity to take some breathtaking photographs.
Itinerary in detail
Day 1: Arrival in Christchurch (-/ -/ D)
Settle in an meet fellow group members. If time allows it explore the immediate area.
Day 2: Christchurch (B/ L/ D)
Visit parks and drive interesting highways like the Great alpine route.
Day 3: Christchurch – lake Pukaki – Lake Wanaka - Queenstown (B/ L/ D)
A drive through the dramatc landscape of snow covered mountains and lakes to the picturesque town of Queesnstown. Stopping to explore and take photographs.
Day 4: Queenstown – Purakaunui falls (B/ L/ -)
Continue to explore this area
Day 5: Purakaunui falls – Stewart Island (B/ L/ -)
Travel across to the Island for its unique wildlife protected from many invasive species found on the mainland.
Day 6: Stewart Island (B/ L/ -)
Enjoy this place of natural beauty
Day 7: Stewart Island – Milford Sound- Fjordland (B/ L/ -)
Move onto this ancient landscape of high cliffs with gushing watrerfalls in an almost surreal setting
Day 8: Milford Sound-fjordland (B/ L/ -)
Day 9: Milford Sound-fjordland – Franz Josef Glacier (B/ L/ -)
Move onto another landscape of grey rivers and blue ice glaciers and if you are lucky witness large pieces of ice breaking off into the river as the glacies moves slowly downeards and be entertained by the ever present Kea parrots.
Day 10: Franz Josef Glacier (B/ L/ -)
Depending on the previous days timeline explore this area further.
Day 11: Franz Josef Glacier – Devils Punchbowl Waterfall(B/ L/ -)
Absorb the scenic beauty and capture them in your cameras
Day 12: Devils Punchbowl - Christchurch( S)
Scenic drive back to Christchurch stopping at all areas of interest on the way.
Day 13: Fly to Auckland then home (B)
Long journey home
Please note: Actual day activities may vary due to various circumstances ie rain, time etc
What you are taking away:
The outcomes of a Side Street Explorer experience will be a heightened awareness of nature and “being one” with the surroundings you are visiting, a start to a life time passion for birding and nature photography , an appreciation and respect of our world and make it a better place for all life in it. Participating in the Side Street Explorer experience will enable you to “capture” this experience for posterity and open your mind to experience what a wonderful world we really live in.
Maximum of 8 couples never more
From R33 365.00
From $2 250, 00
Price is Per Person Sharing
Category: Standard 3*
Purakaunui Falls-Kepplestone by the sea
Stewart Island South Sea Hotel
Milford Sounds Ribbonwood retreat
Franz Josef Valley Rain Forest Retreat
Devils Punchbowl Arthurs Pass
Tour Price Includes
- Accommodation in twin/double room with daily breakfast at the below indicated room types (see hotel category list below) (check in and check out around noontime)
- All transfers and transportation with air-con vehicles (types of vehicles depending on the number of pax)
o 1-2 pax: car of 7 seats
o 3-6 pax: car of 16 seats
o 7-10 pax: car of 25 seats
- Local ENGLISH speaking guides (one guide in Vietnam; one guide in Cambodia) with medical kits
- One local person to assist beside the local tour leader on days of cycling for group of 8 pax up
- Mechanic services
- All entrance fees as program
- Meals (B/L/D) (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) as indicated in the program
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person per day on bus on days of transfer and sightseeing only
- Government tax and service charge
- Added value from 08 Paying Pax up: 1 Tour Leader Free Of Charge based on twin-sharing room (exclusive of airfares and other surcharges)
Tour Price Excludes
- Travel insurance (compulsory)
- Airfares (international and domestic)
- Meals (other than mentioned in the program)
- Early check in or late check out
- Additional transfer required due to any emergency situation
- Mineral water beyond that supplied
- Optional excursions and activities
- Items of a personal nature (Phone calls, laundry, beverages…)
- Peak season surcharges if any
- All not mentioned above